"Top Ten Dating Tips" by Yuriko
Introduction: Japan’s women are swooning over tall, blonde, handsomeYuriko and with good reason. Not only is she as good looking in a suit and tie as she is in a dress, she’s got the cool of a traditional samurai mixed with youthful charm and a soupcon of self-possession. Like the Otoko-yaku of Takarazuka, she practically oozes masculine sensuality, while never really losing her femininity. So, when it came time once again to write this column, it seemed natural to ask Yuriko what her “Top Ten” Dating tips would be. We’ve already had tips from some of the most popular male idols and we thought our readers might enjoy a slightly different slant on the subject
We met with Yuriko on the scene of her latest job, as voice actress for an animated film. Details are slim, but we’re told she’ll be voicing the lead male role. Yuriko met us at the studio wearing a casual ensemble of silk t-shirt and jeans, her blonde hair brushed, as usual, over her right eye. Yuriko was very gracious and very funny when we asked her for her dating tips. Here’s what she had to say:
- Don’t hesitate. If you see someone who you find interesting, go right up and ask them to dance, or talk, or something. The longer you put it off, the more likely you will lose your chance. Not to mention making little stories in your head that completely ruin the magic!
- Don’t focus on rejection. Of course not every woman will want to dance with you, but if you take their rejection personally, you’ll become paralyzed and unable to continue. If you strike quickly, then rejection won’t hurt so badly – take it like a man and move on.
- Be yourself. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t good with women – really. Most women don’t like slick playboy types. They’d rather be approached by someone who is honest and real.
- Start with a compliment. Not a silly one that sounds like a pickup line. Tell her she looks nice in that dress, or she has a pretty smile – something simple. Women (and men!) respond very positively to a polite, truthful compliment.
- Be aware of body language. If she turns away dismissively or doesn’t meet your eyes, don’t waste your time and hers – cut your losses and find someone else who will appreciate you.
- Dress comfortably. Don’t just dress the way everyone else does just because. If you want to feel good, you have to look good. Trust yourself to know that baggy pants look silly on you (or not) or a tie, or whatever. When you feel good-looking, the right kind of woman will see that.
- Don’t talk too much. When people become nervous they launch into monologues. If you have a hobby, refer to it casually and wait to be askedbefore you give a short answer. No one likes to be subjected to a long discussion of a technical hobby when they are just getting to know you!
- Ask lots of questions. <laugh> It sounds silly after the last tip, but it’s true – everyone likes to talk about themselves. Ask her about herself, her interests and her life. If she talks too much about other men (or women!) in her life, she may not be ready for a relationship. But she may be interested in things that interest you – so listen carefully!
- Don’t ever be desperate. Just because you’re not doing well talking to women, it just means you haven’t found the right one. If you treat everyone politely and pleasantly, you’ll never have cause to be ashamed or desperate.
- Although this is last, it’s really the most important tip – always make a woman feel special. Listen to her alone when she talks, don’t interrupt, compliment her, make her feel as if you really treasure her, as a friend, as a person and maybe, if it’s meant to be, as a lover. Don’t ever take her for granted, even if she’s a casual acquaintance. If you can make every women feel special and good about themselves, then you will never get a bad reputation. And even when a woman turns out not to be the one for you, if you made her feel special, she will remember you fondly. This is probably the most important thing.
And there you have it guys! From the number one most popular idol, Yuriko, her tips on treating women right. We hope that you will tune in again next month when we ask hot actor Kinou Tadashi for his top ten dating tips!